African Inland Mission

African Inland Mission
"Christ-centered churches among all African peoples"

Saturday, August 4, 2012

August 4th, 2012


Hello everyone,

Well it has been a few days since I (Lyle) made any entries and we have been here a full week! We have been busy learning our duties. Ingrid and I have been learning two memory verses a month, one the first half of the month and the other the second half. For the 1st half of August the Lord led me to Acts 20:24: "But my life is worth nothing to me unless I use it for finishing the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus - the work of telling others the Good News about the wonderful grace of God.” As I look at this verse a couple of things come to my mind. The first is that Paul could not make this statement unless it represented who he was, not what he did. We can all try to “do”, but in the end who we are will come out. Think about it, a lazy person might work hard occasionally, but people will still look at this person and think “lazy”. Why, because lazy is who the person it, not something they do. The second thing that came to my mind was the question of whether Acts 20:24 is something I do or who I am. I really desire that this is who I am, but too often I think it is something I do, but it does not have to be. 2 Corinthians 5:17 tells me, “that if I am in Christ I am a new creation; the old has gone the new has come” and Romans 12:2 tells me that I am transformed by the renewing of my mind. Please pray that I will let my Lord transform and renew my mind as I draw closer to Him and that Acts 20:24 will become who I am, not what I do.

More on the update side of things – the young lady who was having trouble booking a flight to Southern Sudan with Mission Aviation Fellowship is now in Southern Sudan. The following day she went to MAF with someone who had experience with them. She found out that a reservation had already been made and there had been a miscommunication that on their part that had caused her to believe she did not have a confirmed flight. This just really spoke to me how what might seem hopeless to me, or what might seem really messed is well under God’s control and authority. The key for me is being fixed squarely in the center of God’s will.

Changing topic completely, Ingrid had a close encounter of the reptilian kind and her knight in shinning armor was a dog named Rafiki. Ingrid was on her way from the manager’s house to the guesthouse when she noticed Rafiki was doing something. She was not quite sure what because it was dark, but when Rafiki saw her she spun around and barked at Ingrid. Ingrid told Rafiki to be quiet. Rafiki then turned away from Ingrid and started moving around but was definitely focusing on something. Ingrid then shined her flashlight in front of Rafiki and saw a snake that was moving and following Rafiki’s movement like you would see a cobra do. Well in fact this was a baby cobra. Ingrid kept trying to pull Rafiki away, but Rafiki was intent on keeping between the cobra and Ingrid. Fortunately one of the missionaries staying at the inn called her husband who was able the kill the baby cobra. We really do thank the Lord for His protection. Had Rafiki not been there Ingrid would have most likely stepped on the snake! God uses donkeys, dogs, and yes, He can even use us.

Hello, Ingrid here, my last communication pleaded for prayer as Lyle and I were expected to learn how to use the public transportation system here in Kampala including boda bodas.  The day we were assigned this daunting task was our anniversary, August 2nd.  We left with the chief cook to experience the market place, and as she briskly walked us down the hill, she headed right toward the boda bodas:(  She hired two, one for her and one for the two of us, so the driver, and Lyle with me sandwiched in between them tore off down the hill to the main road.  As we are tearing along, I turned to Lyle and said “Happy Anniversary, honey.”  He smiled at me and I don’t think ended up with any bugs in his teeth.  That day we road a total of four boda bodas, and two “taxis” which is really public transit vans.  The thing that kept going through my head as we navigated by foot through 4 and 6 lanes of moving traffic as well as on the boda bodas was please don’t kill the muzungo ( white person).

The market was almost overwhelming for all the sensations it impacted: sight, smells, sounds and getting hit over and over by people passing each other on foot paths only wide enough for one person with their feet placed one in front of the other, but like the streets having 3 or more people barging through the same path.  There are no personal bubbles here, people knock you around and don’t seem to even know it. The market was around a couple of acres big with a sea of humanity filling it, vendors and buyers.  Our guide, Biafa, knew what she was doing. She only used certain vendors and they were in the middle of the market!! But she was amazing with skill and wisdom on buying vegetables and fruit, making them take out any that had any marks or bruising, even if they had put these under the good looking ones.  This woman is an amazing woman, and I am praying that God allows us to become close sisters.  She handed us off to a young Ugandan woman named Rhona who showed us central Kampala on foot most of the time.  We had such a good time with her, and the one time I tried to whine about the boda bodas, she shut me down with these words, “you will be fine, so get over it.”  And glory to God she was rightJ.  She went out of her way to help us find rice vinegar, and some shopping items to try to help us have a little familiarity here.

Please pray for us to find God’s wisdom and grace for the staff we are managing.  They are all Ugandan and we see some things that will need to be addressed but our desire is for this to touch them in their souls as a point of godly transformation through loving relationship not boss to employee, as we are all children of our heavenly Father and we really want them to know we are all on a level playing field.

3 comments:

  1. happy to read ur journal and know more about whats happening there . love u Ingrid and Lyle
    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss u both Lyle and Ingrid,
    It is nice reading ur blogs. I do not know how it works. Do u get our emails too.
    We are back in Seattle.we reached here this Sunday afternoon.
    I have copied todays daily devotional from Joni Tada Eareckson. In it she has asked us to pray for Missionaries. So I asked our Lord to empower and resource u as well as to keep you safe and sound as u carry our Lords Banner.
    Take care
    With lots of love and prayers
    Prasad and Visa



    Let the Truth be Told
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Truth is nowhere to be found, and whoever shuns evil becomes a prey. The Lord looked
    and was displeased that there was no justice. He saw that there was no one, he was
    appalled that there was no one to intervene... Isaiah 59:15-16

    I was at a loss for words when a young disabled girl in Bangalore, India told me,
    "My aunt said I would have to go through eight reincarnations before I could become
    a whole person." A doctor from New Dehli said, "Most people do not consider autistic
    children to be human." On that same trip while I was in Africa, I met mothers who
    were beaten because they gave birth to a child who was blind or disabled. A man
    told me his cerebral-palsied sister was left out in the jungle for the animals to
    take; "My parents thought it would appease the animist spirits," he said. In southeast
    Asia I met people who thought disabilities were "curses from the shamans in the
    village." My heart broke when several disabled women told me they were "easy targets
    for abuse."

    Isaiah lamented, "Truth is nowhere to be found... Is there no one to intervene?"
    This is the commission God has given us. Jesus is "the way, the truth and the life"
    (John 14:6). When we follow His way and carry the truth into the dark corners of
    the world, we bring light, hope and deliverance. Jesus tells the truth about everything;
    from the atonement to autism, from the resurrection to rickets, from sanctification
    to spina bifida.

    The overwhelming needs of people in less-developed nations can either make you shake
    your head and walk away, or fill your heart with Christ's compassion. Support the
    work of your church's missionaries who labor among the world's neediest. Ask God
    to raise up those who will intervene and bring justice, mercy and the hope of Christ's
    love.

    Empower and resource your missionaries around the world, dear Lord. For the sake
    of truth, mercy and justice. For the sake of the world's neediest.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. The picture in my mind is you on a high speed rail with everyone going in one direction and you (both) heading in the other. Smile my friend! Buy dog biscuits for the hero dog. Love you dear sister. I will figure out the phone situation soon. Sue

    ReplyDelete